03 June, 2008

Ditching Labels

There are some things that really annoy me. Labels is one of them. Sometimes a label is descriptive and helpful. What I don´t like is when we use a label to define a situation and particularly a person.

Personally, God has really set me free from coming under labels that other people put on me. A label can not only be intimidating but also confining. When we label a person, we put them in a box. 

I guess it`s obvious that we inhibit a person with negative labels. But we can also restrict people by giving them labels that we might think are positive ones. You see, God has created us to grow and develop. We are destined to blossom. As Christians we never stand still, caged into being who we are. 

A person who has surrendered their life to Jesus is a person who is on a journey. A journey in which the riches that God deposited in you, even before you were born, are rediscovered and developed. I think that`s why I dislike labels so much. You see, only God can truly see who I am becoming. No one else has really got the full picture on me. And I`m still on my journey.

So if you love me, please don´t label me. Well, if you do, you`ll be missing out on a whole lot of other parts of me. Oh, and why stand still in your thinking when those of us who have chosen to ditch labels are dancing in the light?

Psalm 17.2a Let my vindication come from Your presence